1. Home
Ron Leshnower

Are You the Victim of Illegal Housing Discrimination?

By November 30, 2011

Follow me on:

If you believe you've been treated unfairly because of your race, religion, sex, or other protected characteristic, you might worry that seeking justice and compensation for any harm you suffered may be expensive and time-consuming.

But you can file a complaint online with the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). If HUD investigates your complaint and finds it has merit, it will pursue your case through its administrative process at no cost to you.

Many states (such as New York and Illinois) and cities (such as New York City) offer similar options to tenants who rent apartments within their jurisdiction.

Although it might be easy and convenient to file a fair housing complaint, take a moment to decide whether pursuing a discrimination complaint is the right option for you.

Related Articles:

(Fair housing logo courtesy of the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development)


No comments yet. Leave a Comment

Leave a Comment

Line and paragraph breaks are automatic. Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title="">, <b>, <i>, <strike>
Top Related Searches
  • housing discrimination
  • ©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.