She just wanted to get rid of bed bugs. But a Kentucky tenant's actions Friday night caused her to lose everything and, along with 30 of her neighbors, become homeless.
The tenant decided to pour alcohol on her couch to treat an apparent bed bug infestation, according to a report on WDRB.com. But she then reportedly dropped a lit cigarette, igniting a blaze that led to extensive damage at her apartment complex. Fortunately, no one was seriously injured.
A few years ago, I blogged about unrelated incidents of tenants attempting to thaw frozen pipes in unorthodox ways that literally backfired. These unfortunate stories remind us that it's always important to carefully consider the risks of what you're doing before trying to fix an apartment problem on your own. Here are some tips for getting your landlord's attention when you have a maintenance or repair issue in your rental.
(Image © ULTRA.F / Getty Images)