1. Home

Find Privately Owned Subsidized Apartments at Lower Rents

If You're a Low-Income Tenant, You May Get a Break on Your Rent


Hoboken at dusk Nine OK/Photographer's Choice/Getty Images

Many landlords across the United States receive funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to rent apartments in privately owned buildings to low-income tenants at reduced rents. If you earn below HUD's income limits, you may qualify for the lower rents. But how do you find these apartment buildings?

It's easy. Thanks to an online database maintained by HUD and updated daily, the answer is a few mouse clicks away.

Here's how to access the database and what to do once you find results:

  1. Visit HUD's low-rent apartment search page.

  2. Using the drop-down menu, select the state in which you wish to search for an apartment. Note that all 50 states plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico are included in the list.

  3. If you wish, provide more information to narrow the location of the apartment you're searching for. You can also specify the number of bedrooms in the apartment and indicate if you would be interested in an apartment set aside for certain groups such as seniors or renters with disabilities.

  4. Look at the property addresses listed in the search results and the information about each one. If any property interests you, contact that property's management company using the phone number that appears at left.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.