1. Home

Get Free or Low-Cost Rental Advice from a Housing Counselor


Did you know that free or low-cost rental housing advice is just a phone call away? The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sponsors housing counseling agencies throughout the country that provide information and tips for renters, as well as advice on home buying, defaults, foreclosures, credit issues, and reverse mortgages.

These counselors can help you with common rental concerns such as finding the right apartment, avoiding evictions, getting your security deposit back, having code violations addressed, and handling rent increases. Some counseling agencies also provide mediation services, which can help you settle a dispute between you and your landlord.

To find a HUD-approved housing counselor near you:

  1. Visit HUD's list of approved agencies by state (as well as Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Washington, D.C.). Choose your state from the list and click the "Go to this page" link, or click on your state as it appears in the map toward the bottom of the page; or

  2. Call HUD's interactive voice response system at 1-800-569-4287. Enter your ZIP code and then press "2" for "Rental Issues and Homeless Assistance Counseling."

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.