Many people pay attention to mice, cockroaches, ants, and other pests only once they've become a problem. Pest control can be particularly challenging for people who live in apartment buildings, because there are so many kitchens, bathrooms, pantries, and other areas that pests find alluring.
Rather than handle pest problems each time they arise, the better strategy is prevention. By adopting clean lifestyle habits, you can help keep unwanted critters and rodents out of your apartment for good.
Here's what you can do:
Above all else, keep your apartment clean. Follow these tips:
- Don't wait until tomorrow to pack up or discard food you enjoyed today.
- Keep snack bags clipped shut or use Ziploc bags.
- Promptly wipe up messes and spills on countertops and floors.
- Consider hiring a cleaning service to visit at least every other week.
- Keep garbage in sealed containers and dispose of your trash daily.
- Clean up promptly after a party -- you'll go to sleep even happier.
- Check for crumbs and wrappers that may get hidden under sofa cushions or bedspreads after snacking.
- Clean out your fridge and freezer on a regular basis (once a week).
You probably know that decluttering can do wonders for organizing your apartment and even getting a firm handle on your life. It's also a useful tool for keeping pests away. Piles of papers and other objects strewn about your apartment can provide food or shelter for pests, such as cockroaches.
Keep It Dry!
Many insects thrive in wet environments, so keeping your apartment dry helps keep these tiny folks away. Call your landlord or super to get leaky faucets or broken pipes fixed promptly. Also, make sure your bathroom has proper ventilation. If there's no exhaust fan in the upper wall or ceiling, open the window after showering and keep your bathroom door open to let the room air out.
As you can see, keeping pests away from your apartment doesn't require a certain expertise or even a serious time commitment. If you're proactive and consistent, you should be able to enjoy your apartment for years without the annoyance of a pest problem. Also, since these tips require you to adopt a clean and organized lifestyle, you'll feel healthier and happier to boot.