1. Home

Report Unsafe Household Products for Recall Consideration

Your Actions Might Prevent Property Damage and Injuries


Many product recalls are the result of government investigation of consumer complaints. If you've been injured by a product you use in your apartment or you believe it poses a fire or other safety risk to consumers, you can report the problem to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

How to Report a Problem

You can report a problem to CPSC in one of three ways:

  1. By telephone. Call CPSC at 1-800-638-2772.

  2. By e-mail. Describe the problem in an e-mail to info@cpsc.gov.

  3. By completing an online form. Complete the fields of the Consumer Product Incident Form, then click the button to send it to CPSC. This is probably the best option to report an issue because the form asks for the information the government needs to investigate the complaint properly, such as details about the manufacturer and your history with the product. The form also lets you decide whether to give CPSC permission to associate your name with your report.

What to Expect After Reporting a Problem

After you notify CPSC about an unsafe product using one of the methods listed above, an agency field investigator may contact you for additional information. The investigator may ask to obtain the product at issue for further evaluation.

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.